As San Diego Beer Week approaches, local beer enthusiasts are getting ready to quench their thirst with specialty brews and toast to San Diego’s burgeoning craft beer scene. From Beer Week’s annual kick-off event Guild Fest to individual brewery events, this 10-day celebration gives your readers multiple occasions to join the craft beer hype. Locals attending the beer festivities will have opportunities to sip fine craft brews from all over San Diego County, jam out to live local music, and nosh on paired bites. To celebrate the forthcoming events, AT&T compiled a list of apps to help with tips on beer and food pairings, malty verses hoppy flavor profiles and getting a safe ride home.
Best Apps for San Diego Beer Week:
1) Untappd - With so many beer options and events this week, keep track of inventory of your favorites. Create your own “brewery” and discover beer by downloading the Untappd app. This social media app connects you with other beer-lovers around San Diego, and you can see where your friends are drinking, find nearby locations for the beer you want, and post to other social media accounts. When it comes to beer, the more the merrier. Free to download.
2) TapHunter - All week long, check out local craft beer bars with your fellow connoisseurs with TapHunter, founded by a local San Diegan. Find out what’s on tap at the best local brewpubs, beer bars and all other locations where great craft brew is served. This app uses GPS to search craft beer locations by proximity or on a map. Free to download.
3) BeerCloud - Whether you're a beer consumer who could use some guidance in making a well-educated purchase, a food lover looking to discover new ways to enhance a meal with a complementary beer pairing, a beer student hoping to learn more about styles, or a traveling beer enthusiast who wants to instantly map the closest stores, bars, and restaurants carrying one of your favorite beers, BeerCloud is an essential iPhone app. Free to download.
4) BeerUniverse - The BeerUniverse app has a huge database of beer profiles for you to explore, rate, and review on the go. The app also makes recommendations for you based on your preferences and can even predict how you would rate beers, taking the guesswork out of trying new beers. The app's beer list syncs with the Beer Universe website (www.beer-universe.com) keeping it up to date with the ever-growing database of beers. $0.99 to download.
5) Sidecar - After slugging back a few cold ones, make sure to have a safe ride home by downloading Sidecar. The app is an essential asset for beer drinkers on the crawl who need a pick up. Different than other ride apps, Sidecar allows you to choose your ride option based on price, estimated time of arrival, car and driver. Don’t get caught in a bind and interrupt forthcoming beer consumption; plan ahead by downloading this app! Free to download.
For more information on San Diego Beer Week, visit sdbw.org and follow on Facebook and Twitter for continuous event updates.