In San Diego, any week can be 'Beer Week,' but each November for the past five years, the San Diego Brewers Guild and the finest establishments and breweries in America's Finest City join forces for a true dedication to our city's thriving and world renown craft beer industry. From November 7 through November 16, enjoy a ten-day celebration of craft beer with a staggering number of events - from beer tours, to beer dinners and pairings, to festivals and everything in between. We've scoured the San Diego Brewers Guild list of events, as well as the many non-advertised meals and parties and have narrowed it down to our 6 picks for this year's San Diego Beer Week.
San Diego's 10 day beer bonanza will offer events all over the county, but we've chosen only a six pack from the seemingly never-ending list. Here they are:
6) The Beer Garden at The Lodge at Torrey Pines - (Sunday, November 16, 12-3pm, $75) - This is the most delicious closing event for San Diego Beer Week. Hosted on the gorgeous Arroyo Terrace of the Lodge at Torrey Pines, the Beer Garden brings together the best of San Diego’s breweries and local chefs to celebrate the craft beer movement. 24 breweries are split up and paired with 12 chefs, making the Beer Garden a truly unique and delicious beer and food pairing event. We've attended the Beer Garden in the past and it's always elevated food served with some of our county's best brews in such a picturesque location.
5) Fathom Bistro Fishing with the Brewers - (Monday, November 10, 9am-2pm, $70) - Don't miss out on a Monday morning fishing tournament on the bay at Fathom Bistro on Shelter Island. For only $70, you get one 6ft fishing pole setup (that you get to keep), hooks, weights, the bait you will need during the fishing event, a breakfast burrito bar, lunch, and a special T Shirt! And if that is not enough, you will be fishing with some of the best brewers in the country including Adam Avery of Avery Brewing, Chuck Silva of Green Flash Brewing, Jamie Floyd of Ninkasi Brewing, Richard Norgrove of Bear Republic, Bill Batten of AleSmith, Yuseff Cherney of Ballast Point Brewing and more. Yes, you will also receive beer during the event from each of these amazing breweries! Tickets must be purchased online by Saturday, November 8!
4) San Diego Beer Week Dinner with Hess at R Gang Eatery - (Friday, November 14, 7pm, $50) - Enjoy a 5 course, Thanksgiving inspired meal with R Gang Eatery and Mike Hess Brewing. The full menu has already been announced and looks to be delicious and inventive. R Gang Chef/Owner Rich Sweeney is even bringing a friend to the party in the form of the Culinary Freight Train, Chef Karl Prohaska. The duo will cook up a killer five course tasting menu with pairings from Mike Hess Brewing. This will not be your typical Turkey Day meal!
3) Mission Bay "Brew-Cation" - (Friday, November 14, 6-9pm, $35) - The Dana Hotel in Mission Beach has invited 6 local brewers to team up with 6 San Diego chefs for this tasting event at Firefly restaurant in honor of our city's craft beer and food scene. Expect six uniquely designed tasting stations with unlimited samples, as well as artists and vendors showing off their creative comforts. For $35, this event is a steal!
2) Brews & Chews at Tom Ham's Lighthouse - (Monday, November 10, 6-9pm, $40) - Tom Ham's is a beautiful restaurant with serene views of San Diego Bay and the downtown skyline. Combine that with live music, a painting demonstration, a silent auction, and some of our city's best restaurants and breweries, and you have what looks to be an amazing Beer Week event. Ballast Point, The Lost Abbey, New English Brewing Company, Ironfire Brewing, and more will be paired with food crafted by executive chef Lance Repp from Tom Ham's Lighthouse, Hanis Cavin from Carnitas' Snack Shack, Santiago Campo from Donut Bar, Dion Morales from Bali Hai Restaurant, Chad White from Comun Kitchen & Tavern and more.
1) San Diego Brewers Guild Festival - (Saturday, November 8, 1-5pm, $25-$55) - Last year, the Guild added the VIP Brewer Takeover, making the Guild Fest a 2 day experience, but out of the two events, we prefer the rowdier San Diego Brewers Guild Fest. This event is the original and continues to showcase San Diego County's finest craft breweries. With musical entertainment, food trucks, and beer as far as the eyes can see, this event is a great time bay side at the Port Pavilion on Broadway Pier. As the official opening of SDBW, this is a must attend event to any first time, and it's not only fun, it’s educational with the addition of the first-ever Beer College. Learn how to get in the brewing business with 30 minute sessions from San Diego State University’s College of Extended Studies Business of Craft Beer program, UC San Diego Extension Brewery Certificate program, and SoCal Business of Beer.
For a large list of San Diego Beer Week events, visit sdbw.org/schedule, but keep in mind that many establishments are holding events that are not listed on this schedule.