March 26, 2015
Executive Chef and butchery mastermind, Aldo Negrete, hits a homerun using a traditional pork-and-beef formula to lend a smoky, rich dimension to the flavor profile. Rare Form's eight-count selection (which will debut in February) will include options like the ‘Haole’ dog, which promises a taste of the islands with sweet roasted pineapple, crispy bacon and charred Jalapeño toppings, to ‘The Murph’, a riff on the classic bacon hugged TJ-style hot dog with yellow mustard, mayo, fresh tomatoes, onions and spicy jalapeño. The full hot dog menu includes the following:
- Abe Froman - mustard, sport peppers, dill pickle, chopped onions, sliced tomato, atomic relish, celery salt (yes, it’s authentic)
- The Murph - bacon hugged hot dog, charred onions and jalapenos, tomato, mayo & mustard,
- Haole - crispy bacon, roasted pineapple and charred jalapeño chile
- Cheezy-e - housemade chili, chopped onions, mustard & fluffy cheese
- The Sultan of Swat - pastrami, sauerkraut and mustard
- One To Go! - plain bun and dog with packets
- Rooky dog - corn dog and mustard
- Kid 9 - mustard and kraut
Fans can also look forward to a handful of Chef Aldo’s future creations including the seafood-based “Lobster Dog”, complete with lemon wedges and salty butter, a twist on the “Sonoran Dog” with a Poutine-style toppings featuring cheese curds and gravy, in addition to a Foie Gras version.
Front man, co-owner Anthony Schmidt, has crafted a concise cocktail menu that revolves around cordials, eau de vie and fruit brandies. Alongside nine featured schnapps cocktails, Rare Form also offers 12 draft beers, a selection of wines and three different boilermakers – an old-school classic which pairs a shot of schnapps alongside a draft beer chaser.
Located at 793 J Street, Rare Form is open daily from 11:30am to 12am, and 11:30am to 2am on Friday and Saturday. Visit godblessrareform.com, or call 619.255.6507 for more information.