On Saturday, September 22nd and Sunday the 23rd, don't miss The 7th Annual ArtWalk on the Bay featuring over 3,000 pieces of original art from renowned artists showcased in an outdoor festival setting. As the “sister” event of Mission Federal ArtWalk, southern California’s largest fine art festival, ArtWalk on the Bay is expected to draw around 30,000 attendees with its intimate atmosphere, accessible artists and a stunning outdoor location on the shores of San Diego’s “Big Bay” at the Hilton San Diego's Bayfront Park.
Joining a roster of emerging artists at ArtWalk on the Bay is the next wave of art collectors. For these future connoisseurs, ArtWalk on the Bay serves as a welcoming destination. To fully engage in the festival experience, the following art buying tips aim to encourage smart purchase making decisions:
- Visit ArtWalk on the Bay’s online gallery before attending the event to review artists’ profiles. The extensive database can sort by media type including metalworking, watercolor or photography and by style such as abstract, plein air or pop art.
- Plan an itinerary using the event map to determine which specific artist booths to visit early in the day. Some of the best pieces sell quickly during the morning of the first day of the event. If your favorite piece is sold, talk with the artist to find out if more pieces in the collection are available. They typically will bring new pieces for the second day of the festival.
- Think about your designated space for displaying artwork. Attendees can get inspired with unique hanging and display ideas by visiting ArtWalk San Diego’s Pinterest page at pinterest.com/artwalksandiego/.
- Set your budget. Original art will almost always be the best investment but there are sophisticated options available by some artists such as an embellished giclée, which is a fine art printing process featuring the artist’s final touch, or smaller-sized pieces of art.
- Build a relationship with an artist you like at ArtWalk on the Bay. Share contact information so that you can follow their future exhibitions.
- Follow your gut. Buy art because you love it and the investment will last for generations.
Erin Hanson, Gustavo Santana, Nicholas Vicknair, Danny Hughes, Niki Sands, Desolina, Paul Nzalamba, Jon Koehler, Charles Sherman, James Hill, Shelli Kahl, Mike Woodward and more. To browse an online gallery that lists all artists with examples of their work, visit www.artwalkonthebay.org.
The ArtWalk on the Bay takes place on Saturday, Sept. 22nd and Sunday, Sept. 23, 2012 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Park located at 1 Park Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92101 (located just behind the San Diego Convention Center). Some of this year’s supporters include the Issa Family Foundation, Elaine & Murray Galinson, Jenny Craig, The McGrory Family Fund, Claire Reiss, the Szekely Family Foundation and Jonathan Bullen. Sponsors and partners include the Hilton San Diego Bayfront, Penta Ultra-Purified Water, the Port of San Diego, U-T San Diego, San Diego Home & Garden Lifestyles Magazine, Scripps Health, SDG&E, Downtown San Diego Partnership, Arts Month San Diego, Whole Foods, JMI Realty, Just My Ticket, KPRi FM, San Diego CityBeat and SanDiego.com.
Live performers in the past have included Steph Johnson, Manny Cepeda, Steven Ybarra and more. Visit www.artwalkonthebay.org/performers for the 2012 line-up.
The ArtWalk is free to attend. For more information, please visit www.artwalkonthebay.org or call 619-615-1090. For more information on Arts Month San Diego, visit www.artsmonthsd.com.