The San Diego Brewers Guild is proud to announce that San Diego breweries took home 14 medals at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF) in Denver, Colorado this afternoon. Out of 84 beer-style categories, San Diego breweries won 5 gold medals, 3 silver medals and 6 bronze medals. California was the top medal winner with 46 out of 268 medals awarded, followed by Colorado with 39 medals. San Diego excelled as a county and secured 14 of those California medals.
“The Great American Beer Festival brings together the most talented brewers in the entire country. So for San Diego to take home this many medals truly reaffirms San Diego’s reputation at the craft beer capital of America,” says San Diego Brewers Guild President Brian Scott.
In addition, Alpha King Challenge, an annual hop-laden brew competition held during the GABF, awarded Belching Beaver Brewery’s Thomas Peters and his "Pound Town” (10.3% Double IPA, not yet released) as the winner. Since the conception of the Alpha King Challenge 14 years ago, San Diego breweries have brought home this award 5 times.
The San Diego County winners and their categories are listed below.
· AleSmith Old Numbskull by AleSmith Brewing Co. – Gold (Barley Wine-Style Ale, 51 entries)
· Grunion by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits – Scripps Ranch – Gold (American-Style Pale Ale, 145 entries)
· Oatmeal Stout by Benchmark Brewing Co. – Gold (Session Beer, 94 entries)
· White Ale by Saint Archer Brewing Co. – Gold (Belgian-Style Witbier, 65 entries)
· Witty Moron by Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station – Gold (Other Belgian-Style Ale, 26 entries)
· Guillaume by Pizza Port Ocean Beach – Silver (Session Beer, 94 Entries)
· Hop 15 by Port Brewing Co. – Silver (Imperial India Pale Ale, 135 Entries)
· Piper Down by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits - Scripps Ranch – Silver (Irish-Style Red Ale, 60 Entries)
· Asphalt Jungle, Bagby Beer Co. – Bronze (Classic Irish-Style Dry Stout, 26 Entries_
· La Flama Dorada by Pizza Port Ocean Beach – Bronze (Belgian-Style Tripel, 58 Entries)
· Le Freak by Green Flash Brewing Co. – Bronze (American-Belgo-Style Ale, 69 Entries)
· Mosaic Session Ale by Karl Strauss Brewing Co. – Bronze (Session Beer, 94 Entries)
· Shark Attack by Port Brewing Co. – Bronze (Imperial Red Ale, 62 Entries)
· The Pupil by Societe Brewing Co. – Bronze (International-Style Pale Ale, 88 Entries)
Out of the 14 San Diego medals, Pizza Port Ocean Beach, Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits and Port Brewing Co. took home the most medals.
Congratulations to all the winners at the GABF, and best of luck to all those aspiring for gold next year! For more information on the Great American Beer Festival, visit greatamericanbeerfestival.com.