Urge Gastropub To Open Huge Restaurant, Brewhouse & Gaming Destination In San Marcos

August 19, 2016

The team behind Urge Gastropub and Mason Aleworks will open a gigantic dining, drinking and gaming destination in San Marcos in 2017. Urge Gastropub & Common House will transform a 21,000 square foot former-warehouse in the new North City urban oasis and offer seating for nearly 500, as well as bowling, bocce, games, a 15 barrel in-house brewery and a 5,000 square foot outdoor patio and beer garden.

"North City will be the first truly walkable community in North County and we can't wait to be a part of it", says Grant Tondro, co-owner of 3LB Restaurants. "It's been a dream of ours for many years to bring all of these things under one roof and we can't think of a better place to do it. With the success of Mason Ale Works, it was necessary to add to our brewing capacity and this location was an obvious fit."

Rendering of North City Block C, where Urge is opening
Owned and operated by 3LB Restaurants, the group was founded by brothers Zak and Nate Higson, along with business partner Grant Tondro. The group opened its first restaurant, The Barrel Room followed by Urge American Gastropub and Brothers Provisions, in Rancho Bernardo, CA. In 2015, the group opened Urge Gastropub and Whiskey Bank, located in Oceanside, which also houses its craft brewery, Mason Ale Works.

Urge Gastropub & Common House will have three bars, including a "White Russian Bar" serving the bowling alley and a comprehensive list of craft cocktails for the main bar. There will be two private rooms (for parties of 25 and 50 respectively), as well as 8 competition sized Brunswick boutique bowling lanes. The 15 barrel, premier stainless brewhouse with have capacity to brew up to 5,000 barrels of beer annually, and there will also be a beer barrel aging facility for the Mason Snale Works program. There will be 2 crushed oyster shell outdoor bocce ball courts as well as picnic-style tables featuring other outdoor games like giant jenga and giant connect four. The menu will be about 75% the same as the other Urge locations but will reflect the local tastes with the other 25%.

"We're beyond excited to have the opportunity to be expanding Urge and our brewery production for Mason Ale Works into San Marcos", says Zak Higson, co-owner of 3LB Restaurants. "It's a fantastic community and we're very happy to be part of the North City development project to bring something new and fun to the area."

Urge Gastropub & Common House is expected to open as early as March 2017 and is located within Block C of North City - a new 200 acre residential and commercial mix-use community being developed by Urban Villages San Marcos, who is also responsible for the award-winning The QUAD student housing project located nearby. Block C will also house a new incarnation of sister concepts Halcyon Coffee Bar and Stella Public House, which currently have a location in San Diego's East Village.

For more information on Urge Gastropub, visit urgegastropub.com.